FAQs about TN History for Kids booklets
1) How many booklets are there?
There are 6:
* Journey of the Adventure and other stories: A Common Core Reader
* Just as Free as I am: A Common Core Reader
* Whole Nations Melt Away [for 4th grade]
* He that hath no sword [for 5th grade]
* Fire poured into our very faces [for 8th grade]
* Raise the children the best you can [for the high school American history class]
2) Do they meet the social studies standards passed by the state board of education in July 2013?
Yes, they do.
In fact, Tennessee History for Kids was indirectly involved in the writing of these new standards--particularily the ones related to Tennessee history. We are thrilled that there is more Tennessee history in these standards!
3) Why produce the booklets?
In spite of the use and popularity of the Tennessee History for Kids website, teachers told us that they also wanted something tangible to use in class.
Working with our sponsors, we came up with the idea for low-priced booklets that covered things teachers had to cover in class.
4) How can booklets be purchased?
Booklets are for sale on the web site and at events such as the LEAD Conference, TN Reading Conference, TASL Conference and the other events attended by Tennessee History for Kids.
We are working at getting booklets available in stores. More on that later.