How many booklets are there?
We have more than a dozen publications, which include curriculum booklets, reading booklets, primary source booklets and a citizenship booklet.
- Curriculum Booklets:
- Critters and Maps [for 1st grade, 2019-2020 edition]
- Your Land, My Land [for 2nd grade, 2019-2020 edition]
- Around the World [for 3rd grade, 1st of 2, 2019-2020 edition]
- Across the Ocean [for 3rd grade, 1st of 2, 2019-2020 edition]
- Whole Nations Melt Away [for 4th grade]
- Upon a Pivot [for 4th grade, 1st of 2, 2019-2020 edition]
- Torn Union [for 4th grade, 2nd of 2, 2019-2020 edition]
- He that Hath No Sword [for 5th grade]
- The American Machine [for 5th grade, 1st of 3, 2019-2020 edition]
- Long March to Tennessee [for 5th grade, 2nd of 3, 2019-2020 edition]
- Work for Freedom [for 5th grade, 3rd of 3, 2019-2020 edition]
- Free and Independent State [for 8th grade, 2019-2020 edition]
- Don't Keep Them In Doubt [for the high school American history class, 2019-2020 edition]
- Reading Booklet:
- The King's Letter, the Captain's Flag and other stories [reading booklet for 5th grade]
- Primary Source Booklets
- Citizenship Booklet:
Are there teacher's guides?
There are free, online teacher's guides that contain teaching tips; information; helpful links; larger versions of illustrations, photographs and maps; and more.
The online teacher's guides do not contain the answers to the questions found in the booklet. To get those, email email@example.com from your school email address. Tell him your name, school and what booklet you are using. He will send you a pdf of the answers.
Here are the teacher's guides for the new, 2019-2020 edition booklets:
- Critters and Maps [for 1st grade]
- Your Land, My Land [for 2nd grade]
- Around the World [for 3rd grade]
- Across the Ocean [for 3rd grade, 1st of 2]
- Upon a Pivot [for 4th grade, 1st of 2]
- Torn Union [for 4th grade, 2nd of 2]
- The American Machine [for 5th grade, 1st of 3]
- Long March to Tennessee [for 5th grade, 2nd of 3]
- Work for Freedom [for 5th grade, 3rd of 3]
- Free and Independent State [for 8th grade]
- Don't Keep Them In Doubt [for the high school American history class]
Do the new booklets cover the old social studies standards or do they cover the new/revised standards?
The booklets that were commonly used to cover the previous standards which remain in stock are Kindergarten Lessons for Boxy, Whole Nations Melt Away, He That Hath No Sword, Powerful Words 5 and Powerful Words 8.
What do the curriculum booklets cover?
Curriculum booklets for grades K, 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 cover ALL the social studies standards for those grades. (For instance: Days of the week for Kindergarten; Three Grand Divisions of Tennessee for first grade; the Star-Spangled Banner for second; latitude and longitude for third; early U.S. history for fourth; Tennessee history for fifth.)
Curriculum booklets for grades 8 and 11 cover all of the Tennessee-specific topics which the standards require teachers to cover, but which are probably not discussed in nationally published textbook (the Civil War in Tennessee, the lost state of Franklin, the Civil Rights movement in Tennessee, etc.)
What happened to the Kindergarten booklet?
We have not decided yet whether to produce a 2019-2020 Kindergarten booklet. We realize that Kindergarten students are mainly learning how to read and write, and so that grade is not a grade where a lot of complex social studies ideas are being learned. If you have any thoughts about this, feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your thoughts.
Can you tell me about the 5th grade reading booklet?
The King's Letter, the Captain's Flag and other Stories contains fascinating stories that will make your students LOVE non fiction and Tennessee history! Each story has been written at a grade appropriate level. Although it was written in 2015, it makes a wonderful ELA and teaching tool regardless of the standards.
What do the primary source booklets cover?
Primary source and question booklets for grades 5 and 8 contain excerpts from ALL of the primary source documents required for those grades in the 2013 standards (The "Ain't I a woman?" speech, the Donelson Party journal, Frederick Douglass' autobiography, etc), along with questions about their context and content.
What is the purpose of the high school citizenship booklet?
Th citizenship booklet contains content and a test that helps school systems comply with the new requirement that students learn the material naturalized citizens learn.
How much do the booklets cost?
We have worked very hard to keep the price of booklets low. Therefore, the 2019-2020 editions cost only $2 a booklet.
Furthermore: While they last, we are now selling the remaining 2013 editions of our booklets for only 50 CENTS A COPY!!!
We ask you absolutely not to make copies of them. After all, at $2 a copy, you can buy another one for MUCH cheaper than it costs to copy them.
How can booklets be purchased?
Information on how to order booklets can be found HERE.
To download a hard copy of the order form click here. (This hard copy does not contain the 2013 editions, which have to be ordered using the ORDER FORM button on this website).
Booklets can also be purchased at events such as the tent revival, LEAD conference, Title I Conference, TASL conference, TCSS conference and the other events attended by Tennessee History for Kids.