Two fourth grade students proudly showing off their new TN History for Kids booklets
Most public school students in Tennessee have no Tennessee history or civics textbook, even though students in about half of the grades are required to learn parts of the subject every school year.
Because of this, it is more important than ever that students have a place to go for information on Tennessee history.
Tennessee History for Kids was organized in November 2004 for the purpose of improving this situation. Step one was to research, write, and produce this web site. Since that time we have expanded to include email alerts, posters, videos teacher training and Tennessee history "textbooklets" that students use in class.
Today, about 8,000 teachers use Tennessee History for Kids. Many of them have nice things to say about Tennessee History for Kids.
to read some of those quotes.
The Tennessee History for Kids board consists of:
* Christina Brumleve, teacher at Percy Priest Elementary School in Nashville
* Lieutenant Governor Ron Ramsey, businessman and Tennessee state senator.
* Rep. Steve McDaniel, businessman and Tennessee state representative.
* Rep. Karen Camper, businesswoman and Tennessee state representative
* Mark Maddox, technology coordinator for Weakley County Schools.
* Tracy Woodard, director of government affairs for Nissan North American.
* Dennis Wagner, state director of external affairs of AT&T.
* David Callis, executive vice president of the TN Electric Cooperative Association
* Jay Chamness (board president), attorney and managing partner at the Nashville law firm Cornelius & Collins.
* Ed Fishbough (board treasurer), vice president of communications for HCA.
* Bill Carey (board secretary), executive director of Tennessee History for Kids.
Tennessee History for Kids receives revenue from the state of Tennessee, from teachers who use our booklets, and from private sector sponsors. Our current sponsors include:
* The HCA Foundation
* The Tennessee Historical Commission, which sponsors our annual poster.
* The Tennessee Electrical Cooperative Association, which publishes Tennessee magazine.
Representative Steve McDaniel, left, attending an event at Fort Pillow
Tennessee History for Kids' mailing address is: PO Box 198284, Nashville, TN 37219.
To see some of Bill Carey's Tennessee Magazine
columns, click here
Several publications have published articles about us. Click here
to see some of them.